Job Summary: This position will provide assistance and support to clients in a home setting. The goal of Direct Care Staff is to help clients gain independence through providing assistance with daily living skills.
- Coach/ assist clients with daily living including personal hygiene, housekeeping, meal preparation, emergency responses, social interaction, grocery shopping, and medical appointments.
- Follow SLS health, saftey plans, and follow physician's direction for client care.
- Ensures/records client is taking vitamins, or prescription medication.
- Provides client transportation in an insured personal or company vehicle.
- Ensures Individual Service Plans are followed for each client.
- Completes and submits all required paperwork as required by Valley Adult Services and Valley Achievement Center.
- Assists client with finding appropriate social activities.
- Preforms shift requirements per supervisor and client support plans.
- Assists client with budgeting, including but limited to: cashing checks, balancing cash box, maintaining a bill paying calendar.
- Follow all policies and procedures as outlined in VAC handbook.
- Ensure client safety at all times.
- Maintain close proximity to client at all times.
- Maintain the client's house binder and notify Lead Staff of any concerns regarding client programming.
- Implement VAC techniques and approved methods of intervention for client behavior(s).
- Maintain a professional and objective relationship with clients, parents, VAC vendors, supervisors and other employees.
- Protect and uphold client confidentiality at all times.
- Collect, record and maintain accurate data pertaining to client's IPP/ISP goals.
- May work with a Variety of clients within the Autism Spectrum or with other Developmental Disabilities.
- Complete daily assigned job responsibilities at the beginning or end of shift.
- Ability to exercise appropriate behavior modification techniques when necessary.
- Follow appropriate chain of command when faced with concerns related to clients, parents, VAC vendors, supervisors and other employees.
- Attends, and actively participates in, all required employee meetings.
- Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, and personal accountability; looks for ways to improve or promote quality.
- Adheres to all VAC policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Actively participate in community based instruction throughout the year, and actively participate in water activities ( changing into appropriate swim attire is required, as outlined in VAC Dress Code).
- Exemplifies VAC's Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Required to have a safe, reliable and insured vehicle on hand during all scheduled shifts.
- Prior experience working with adults with developmental disabilities preferred.
- Ability to follow goals and objectives established for each client.
- Ability to work any shift as required by the supervisor or the client needs.
- Must be 18 years of age to work in the SLS Program.
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) with students, parents, VAC vendors, supervisors and other employees.
- Ability to work as a team, and independently without direct supervision; actively participate and collaborate with other team members.
- Knowledge of crisis management techniques preferred.
- Ability to maintain composure, remain objective, demonstrate sound judgment and react effectively in challenging situations.
- Flexible and adaptable to clients, program, and organizational changes.
- Exhibits a positive, solution oriented and motivating demeanor at all times.
- High School Diploma or GED required (all programs).
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs. without assistance.
- Frequent squatting, sitting, walking, standing, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling, climbing, occasional running, pushing and pulling, reaching above and below shoulder level.
- Regular exposure to excessive noise levels.
- Walking and running on uneven surfaces.
- Regular exposure to outside elements, including excessive heat, direct sunlight, cold, wind or rain.
- Valid Driver's License and evidence of insurability.
- CPR/First Aid certification preferred.
- Completion of QBS Safety Care Training within 3 months of employment.